Social media is a term being used a lot lately but if can be sometimes hard to define what is social media.
The best way is to analyze each word.
Let’s begin with “Media”
“Media” are Communication channels through which news, entertainment, education, data, or promotional messages are disseminated. Media includes every broadcasting such as newspapers, magazines, TV, radio, billboards, direct mail, telephone, fax, and internet.
“Social” means relating to society, community or its organization.
Then social media is interacting on these channels such as the internet.
People think that Google is the #1 most visited website, well actually Facebook has surpassed Google on the most visited website on the internet.
16% of the population has a Facebook account. In fact there are more Facebook users (1.15 billion Facebook users) than motor vehicles (one billion cars)
Every 60 seconds on Facebook there are:
1) 510 000 posted comments
2) 293 000 status updates
3) 136 000 uploaded photos
Twitter has now over 550 million registered users who send 150,000,000 tweets per day that’s 1736 per second. Twitter’s personal record is 8900 tweets per second.
The average user has 115 followers
Linkedin has 135,000,000 users. The demographics on Linkedin are:
21% are in the 18 to 24 bracket
36 % are in the 25 to 34 bracket
36% are in the 35 to 54 bracket
7 % are in the 55+ users
- More than 1 billion unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over 6 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube—that’s almost an hour for every person on Earth
- 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- 80% of YouTube traffic comes from outside the US
- YouTube is localized in 61 countries and across 61 languages
- According to Nielsen, YouTube reaches more US adults ages 18-34 than any cable network
- Millions of subscriptions happen each day. The number of people subscribing daily is up more than 3x since last year, and the number of daily subscriptions is up more than 4x since last year
Instagram has over 200 million active users
Many brands such as Rolex and Ferrari have a specific clientele but there are very much active on social media. For example, Ferrari sold 6,922 last year however they managed to get 16,313,039 fans on their Facebook Page
In conclusion, every brand should be active on social media but the question now is how to be effective and increase your return on investment